Founded in 1988, Club5 Ski Classics is a independent grouping of 16 important organisers of « Classic » World Cup races. Marius Robyr, President, and Hugo Steinegger, Vice-President of the Organizing Committee of the Ski World Cup in Crans-Montana succeeded in overcoming the entrance obstacles into the Club5 and has positioned the Valais organisation of the World Cup as its 17th member.
If Crans- Montana remains yet an affiliated member as of today – member without voting rights, but with the right to take part in discussions in this prestigious group – the henceforth annual World Cup competitions should allow Crans- Montana to reach entire membership status in a few years’ time.
During the autumn meetings of the International Ski Federation FIS, the President and Vice-President of the Valais races were representing for the first time, the Organising Committee of Crans-Montana at the Club5 meeting. They were able to take advantage of interesting information shared in discussions with representatives of the FIS and « Classique » World Cup locations, such as Kitzbühel and Wengen.
Club5 Ski Classics
- Foundation : 1988 based on the idea from Serge Lang, founder of the Ski World Cup and highly renowned journalist.
- The first five members : « Classic » downhills from Gröden/Gardena (ITA), Garmisch-Partenkirchen (GER), Kitzbühel (AUS), Wengen (SWI) and Val d’Isère (FRA). These previously-mentioned members decided at the beginning of the 1990s to also make the Club5 a service-providing organisation and to bring into its membership, little by little, other heralded World Cup organisers.
- New members 1994 - 2014: Alta Badia (ITA, 1994) ; Cortina d’Ampezzo (ITA, 1997) ; Kranjska Gora (SLO, 1997) ; Schladming (AUT, 1998) ; Maribor (SLO, 1998) ; Lake Louise (CAN, 2003) ; Adelboden (SWI, 2004) ; Kvjetfjell (NOR, 2005) ; St. Moritz (SWI, 2010) ; Åre (SWE, 2011) ; Zagreb (CRO, 2013).
- First affiliated member: Crans-Montana (SWI, 2016)
- Current president: Srecko Medven (Kranjska Gora)
- Managing Director : Hannes Hutter (Kitzbühel)
- First honorary member: Viktor Gertsch (co-member fonder of Club5 and President of the International Lauberhorn Ski Races in Wengen for 44 years)
- Goals of Club5 Ski Classics: to be in the world of skiing, a grouping of organisers of World Cups completely recognised and economically independent. Club5 would like to be involved in the development of competitive Alpine skiing and in the constant improvement of infrastructures of the organisation of the « Classics ». In addition to the two yearly meetings, workshops that last several days take place every two years. – www.club5.com